The Assistant Director of Communications leads and coordinates creative social media content to increase brand awareness, publicity, fan engagement and increase revenue. The Assistant Director will oversee the day-to-day communications for select sports through strategic administration. This position will direct oversight of all live digital streaming to ensure high quality live video production. The Assistant Director is primary liaison with the University Communication office and FloSports.
1. Overseeing day to day communications operations of assigned sports:
a. Includes layout and design media guides; write, edit, and distribute press releases, game programs and game notes; updating www.gvsulakers.com; and operating computer programs including PhotoShop, QuarkXpress and Stats software.
b. Update and organize statistical records
c. Keep in-game statistics for assigned sports
d. Home event management for assigned sports
2. Responsible for management of live streaming and television broadcasting operation including:
a. Liaison with FloSports and University Communication campus partners
b. Communication and organize on-air talent for broadcast
c. Management of all production & organization of all advertising inventory
d. Hiring and training of broadcasting production team e. Administrative management including: i. Broadcast formats, providing ad placement/ads, promotional elements.
3. Social media: responsible for management of social media operation a. Coordinate, implement and create social media content (including video) b. Strategically enhance the brand including increasing engagement and revenue
4. Provide management support including the development and maintenance of the departmental budget, unit, and marketing plans, fostering collegial working relationships with university administration and student services departments.
5. Performs other duties as required/assigned by Associate Athletic Director for Communications.
WORKING CONDITIONS Normal office environment. Select nights and weekends required. Some travel may be required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED • Bachelor's degree in journalism, public relations, communications, or related field • Minimum of two years relevant work experience • Ability to work with limited direction and supervision • Excellent organizational, interpersonal, writing and communication skills • Ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES PREFERRED • Experience working in college athletics environment
Grand Valley State University is a NCAA Division II institution that values inclusiveness in all aspects of university business. We are located in Allendale, MI, just 12 miles outside of Grand Rapids, the second largest city in Michigan. Our student population averages 25,000. Laker Athletics has placed first or second in the NACDA Learfield Sports Academy's Directors' Cup for the past 19 years.